What can you do?
There are some steps you can take before we arrive. However, always put your health and safety first. Many of the injuries that occur from windstorms, tornados or hurricanes actually occur during the clean-up process, well after the storm has subsided. Please do not take any unnecessary risks, but time is critical in minimizing additional damages.
- 1. Contact a qualified insurance restoration contractor.
- 2. Report the damage to your insurance company as soon as possible. Most companies have a toll-free call center number or you can report the loss to your agent.
- 3. If you have lost power, and it is safe to do so, remove perishable foods from your refrigerator and freezer. The odor created by spoiled food is usually impossible to remove.
- 4. If you have not lost power, be very careful to watch for wires that may have been pulled down by wind or falling tree limbs.
- 5. Keep a listing of anything you have discarded and receipts for any expenses you incur in protecting your property.