How can you help?
Your home has suffered wind damage, but you are headed in the right direction to determine what the next step is. Here are some tips to take to be better prepared for the next storm:
- Reinforce your garage doors to withstand strong winds.
- Glue your roof down. From inside the attic, apply construction-grade glue along the joints where the sheathing rests on the rafters or truss.
- If you plan on replacing your roof, have your roofer remove all layers down to the wood sheathing. Make sure rafters and trusses are securely connected to the walls. Refasten the existing wood sheathing according to builder-code requirements.
- Reinforce double-entry doors with heavy-duty foot and head bolts.
- Make sure screened porches and carports are properly fastened to the house.
- If your house has gable ends, brace them with anchored beams perpendicular to the truss.